[Opensim-users] Windows 8.1 tablet experience?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll r.ramloll at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 14:28:47 UTC 2014

Hello,
Definitely the interest to see platforms like Second Life or Opensim on
tablets is so strong that not satisfying this need will have dire and
irrecoverable consequences. Am not sure whether the community realize the
importance of having a device agnostic platform ... but I don't see much
happening in this space. I even tried contacting developers of Lumiya and
got no response. While unity 3D is galloping to introduce the deep
collaborative features that it lacks when compared to opensim, I believe
that goal is well within their reach in the near term. And both developers
and clients are pressuring opensim content developers like myself to shift
platform. I am only holding on one thread of defense ...at this time by
pointing them to Microsoft Surface Pro http://youtu.be/GdS7eX9pzL0 (see
video ... not the best experience but better than Lumiya at this stage)
And opensim / SL does work but at lower FPS. So may be use this weak
defense to placate a little all these requests to make opensim environments
on tablet. Keeping in mind that most people use Android or iOS.
Ramesh

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Nick Zwart - 3DLES <nick at 3dles.com> wrote:

>  Hi All,
>
> Since education in the Netherlands is more and more moving towards the use
> of tablets, I am trying to find out if the new generation of Windows 8.1
> tablets are any good for running an OpenSim viewer on.
> If you have worked with it allready, what were your experiences?
> What tablet did you use?
> Which software?
> Any problems during use?
>
> Hope to hear from you...
>
> Regards,
>
> Nick Zwart - 3DLES (NL)

*Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate *Research
Associate Professor*, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel:
208-240-0040
LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>, DeepSemaphore LLC
<http://www.deepsemaphore.com>, RezMela <http://www.rezmela.com>, Google+
profile <https://plus.google.com/103652369558830540272/about>