[Opensim-users] IAR Import question

Thomas Ringate tringate at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 23:28:18 UTC 2014

Justin,

Thanks for the clarification.  I hoped it worked like you have stated, but
previous answers said every asset was assigned a new UUID because it would
be possible to duplicate UUID's between different servers.

This makes me wonder if with the current problem of OSgrid if they had
simply brought up a new empty asset server and requested everyone upload any
IAR's they had old, new whatever that it would go a long way in repopulating
the lost data.  I assume that if I have an asset in my inventory and say
several hundred other users have the same item that if I replaced it, it
would be there for everyone.  I suspect your inventory itself is a record on
the asset server so I guess if that record is lost then you basically have
no inventory even if everything you previously had was on the asset server.
It appears to be a no win situation.  I am very fortunate because I have an
IAR of my inventory made just hours before the grid went offline.  My
understanding of your statement is that it will not do any harm for me to
upload my IAR back to OSgrid when it comes back as it will not add more data
that may already be present.

I still do not understand why when I upload the same IAR to my standalone it
duplicates everything in my inventory with another identical entry for the
same item.  If it finds the same item already in inventory and the asset
server why does it make a redundant inventory entry?  Since it is the same
asset being loaded twice it has to be identical since the IAR is the same
IAR.  If I upload the same IAR 5 times I end up with five of everything in
my inventory.  As a test I uploaded my 12,000 item inventory five times and
my inventory ended up being 60,000 objects in inventory.

Yes, I always use the -merge option.

Tom