[Opensim-users] Theoretical limit on maximum number of NPCs on a region

Dr Ramesh Ramloll r.ramloll at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 03:29:50 UTC 2014

Thanks Doug for sharing. What you are doing is indeed impressive. 3400 is
pretty high and to know that a region still functions with so many NPCs is
kind of comforting to me.
Ramesh

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:16 PM, dz <dz at bitzend.net> wrote:

> From: Dr Ramesh Ramloll <r.ramloll at gmail.com>
>> I was wondering how much more NPCs can be created in one region, I did not
>> experience any slow down whatsoever. Or may be the question is not
>> relevant
>> because it just depends on the CPU resources and memory available. In any
>> case, let me know.
>> Ramesh
>>

> I have been doing NPC development and testing on the MOSES grid for almost
> a year now.
> My NPCs are 1/2 scale rigged mesh with prim and mesh objects attached to
> them.  They are also all equipped with an AO attached as a HUD object.  I
> cannot say that I am aware of any theoretical limit on the number that can
> be placed in a region, but there are practical limits when you start
> generating large numbers.
>
> One of the load tests I designed used 24 synchronized NPC generators to
> put 2800 NPC avatars into a "regular" 0.7.6 OpenSim region.  Each of the
> avatars was seated on a scripted bench, which cycled through a series of
> animations.  Subsets (40-200) of the NPCs were directed to walk/run/fly
> between predetermined destinations and then return to their benches.  All
> 2800 of the NPC's were then logged out.   The load test was considered
> successful only if all portions of the test were completed without crashing
> the server.   As a practical matter, it took almost an hour to log all of
> the NPCs in.  Once all the NPCs were in world, groups of 20 were
> "activated" to move around the sim for approximately 45 minutes. As many as
> 300 NPCs were "mobile" at any single time. It then took more than an hour
> to log them all back out.  Sim performance was dependent on a number of
> factors, and was seemed most affected by generating the NPCs,  using
> in-world scripted objects  to communicate the destinations they were to
> move to, and then the process of logging them out.  If I eliminate the
> "walking around" aspect of the tests, I have had as many as 3400 NPCs in a
> region at one time.
>
> Doug Osborn

*Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate *Research
Associate Professor*, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel:
208-240-0040
LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>, DeepSemaphore LLC
<http://www.deepsemaphore.com>, RezMela <http://www.rezmela.com>, Google+
profile <https://plus.google.com/103652369558830540272/about>