[Opensim-users] Nvidia GTX versus Quadro - Reasons for lower FPS on Quadro

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 11:53:10 UTC 2014

Often with 3d applications there is a bottleneck between the game program
and the gpu. The SL viewer uses an older OpenGL API which places certain
constraints on the drivers and computer hardware in that they must move a
lot of small bits of data from the cpu to the gpu for each frame and moving
each piece of data requires overhead. If the hardware or the driver is not
designed to optimize this mode of operation then you will see reduced frame
rates. This does *not* mean that a particular GPU is slow, rather it means
that the cpu and gpu cannot communicate quickly the way the application
asks them to communicate. Newer versions of OpenGL offer means of reducing
the overhead of many small pieces of data (typically referred to as the
"small batch problem"). Graphics cards like the Quadro are not designed for
gaming-like applications and probably do not optimize for such older
batching modes.

See:
http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/NVIDIA-Quadro-does-it-work-in-SL/qaq-p/1065183
and: http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/8228/BatchBatchBatch.pdf

Bottom line: Quadro is probably a poor choice for running SL viewer.