[Opensim-users] Win-7 Region Server to Ubuntu 14.04 Robust

The Pierce Family thepierces-rwpt at charter.net
Wed Jul 30 17:03:17 UTC 2014

Short of pulling my hair out trying to get all of this transition to work. I
have been migrating from a straight Windows (XP/Win7) opensim environment
over to a Win7/Ubuntu environment. I am getting very well rehearsed on
reinstalling Ubuntu and can do this is my sleep. I have a set of Linux and a
set of Windows directories on my thumb drive that have been extracted from
opensimulator.org (binary not compiled), and I simply use whichever is
appropriate for the system I am working on.

I can get the Robust server, MySQL, and an instance of OpenSim to work in
Ubuntu (if I would just quit trying to tweak things it would continue to
work). The issue I am having is I want to have my Windows 7 desktop/region
server to connect over my home network to the Robust server. While it sounds
so easy in Windows, I figured it should not be that hard in Linux. I guess
this is the stumbling block I have found.

I have verified all applicable regional (TCP and UDP) are open on the
router. Again let me repeat that this network worked fine in Windows, so I
know all the ports are correct.

I have a Robust server running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, with mono 3.6.1 and SQL
5.6.X and OpenSim 0.8 (binary file) configured to run on internal IP
192.168.1.100. The standard opensim ports are set at defaults.

I have a Win-7 system (w/SP-1) running Microsoft NET 4.5.1 and OpenSim 0.8
(binary file) configured to run on internal IP 192.168.1.140. Again,
standard second iteration IP used (9002) as the http_listener_port.

Short of sending all the redundant configuration files, what needs to be
done (either to the Ubuntu, the Windows, or the SQL - maybe a combination of
all 3?) to get the two systems to talk back and forth and share opensim
information?

If anyone has firsthand knowledge and have tried this, I sure would
appreciate some assistance. If more information is required, I am happy to
pastebin it.

Thank you.