[Opensim-users] Oculus Rift:- Cyber Sickness

Tom tom.willans at bessacarr.com
Tue Jul 22 16:05:27 UTC 2014

I have not heard about using travel-sickness tablests ?  It may help. From my own perspective I can now use the Rift for hours where the first time using their demo I soon felt iffy.   You can build up tolerance with gradually increasing exposure over time only I gather for some people it just gets worse (based upon traditional HMD research).  If it is for you personally I would try this first.

The problem is that my participants are new to the rift; some only vaguely familiar with computer games. From my lit review and H+S mostly on traditional HMD research it seems as if for some people it just gets worse with time. I am reducing the period of time as the pilot has highlighted where this is possible.  I have also been quite strict about my participant criteria and tightened this up and become quite cautious about withdrawing people.

I am awaiting the new Rift and will see how that goes. I used the CtrlAlt viewer by the way and found David Rowe really helpful. I have also put together a keyboard HUD for use in SL only text comes from the keyboard itself as I can neither touch type and peeking down just does not seem to work for me well either.  Have it for OS as well but there is a problem with it which I have not tracked down ( I have no great need of it for my uses). http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Alleni/221/80/23