[Opensim-users] Hoping for a fearless comparison of opensim vs unity 3D

Fleep Tuque fleep513 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 13:02:16 UTC 2014

I think Doug's experience pretty much sums up my own.

I remain interested in and supportive of OpenSimulator because it is open
source, it's the only platform cracking the "metaverse" nut, and it's the
only platform that supports certain use cases (like collaborative
prototyping).  I remain hopeful that it will evolve beyond its current
iteration to eventually be much easier to use.  But after 10 years of
introducing Second Life and OpenSimulator to probably thousands of people,
at this point, it's clear to me that the vast majority of faculty can't or
don't want to use it in its current format.  Even if they have a use case
that might take advantage of the platform's capabilities, the learning
curve and support overhead is still just way, way too darned high.

We switched to Unity three years ago for 99% of our work at UCSIM.  The
types of scripted (or even open-ended within certain parameters) scenarios
and simulations that most faculty want are much more easily achieved in
Unity than OpenSimulator.  The programming and scene creation tools are
much more powerful (one word - PREFABS*), we can deploy it in web browsers,
on tablets, or as standalone programs, and the technical support costs are
much, MUCH lower for my team.

As others have said, Unity does require professional level skills to be
able to create content, but after a certain point, so does OpenSimulator or
Second Life.  In all the years we supported both SL/OS, how many faculty
wanted to learn to create content anyway?  A very very small percentage.
 Most faculty, unless they are in a discipline that already requires some
3D modeling or design skills, have zero desire to learn how to make 3D
stuff.  If they have the desire to use simulations or immersive learning
experiences, they either want someone else to make it for them, or they
want to use a very simple easy-to-use toolset to put their own scenarios
together quickly.  They don't have the time or desire to develop expertise
in yet another domain.

I still think OpenSimulator has plenty of promise, and I don't think it has
to be an either/or choice.  It's always about choosing the right tool for
the job.  If you need open ended sandbox building capabilities,
OpenSimulator is the right tool.  If you need synchronous virtual meeting
space with spatial voice, OpenSimulator is still probably the best tool.
 If you're interested in the emerging metaverse, OpenSimulator is the only
tool.  Unity doesn't do any of those things well.  If you need a single
player scripted simulation experience, however, Unity wins hands down.  If
you need to be able to deploy to web or mobile, Unity can do that and
OpenSimulator can't.

Personally, I'm hoping that both platforms become easier for the amateur
over time, and that some of these new interface devices will improve both
immersiveness/sense of presence, AND make content creation easier.

I guess we'll see, but in the meantime, I think both platforms are useful
tools to have in the toolbox.

* About prefabs - If you don't know the concept, a prefab in Unity is like
a template object that you can deploy many instances of in a scene, and
then if you need to update or modify the object, you just modify the
template and it updates all the deployed instances in the scene.  So for
example, you build a lamp post and put a hundred copies of it in your
scene, then later decide you need to change the model.  Easy presto, change
the template and it changes all 100 lamp posts in your scene.  This is
probably one of my top 10 wants for OpenSimulator.  You don't realize how
much time you waste updating content in-world until you start using Unity
prefabs.

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (Avatar: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
Division of Innovation & Partnerships, Research & Development
UC Office of Information Technologies (UCIT)
University of Cincinnati
400 University Hall
PO Box 210658
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0658