[Opensim-users] Urban legends (Was :Configuring a multi-hosted grid)

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 22 22:12:03 UTC 2014

On 22/08/14 12:15, Jeff Kelley wrote:
> At 7:20 PM -0500 21/8/14, James Stallings II wrote:
>
>>  Yeah the need for a DNS name scheme here is thoroughly overstated.
>>  In fact, it adds more complexity and is something I typically do only *after*
>>  getting everything working fine.
>

> There are a number of urban legends floating around opensim. Here are some:
>
> 1) It's bad to put numeric IP in ini's.

To be honest, people often advise the opposite, particularly in the region config external host.

I'm not entirely sure why - from my experience FQDNs work fine there (I think the simulator might be storing them as IP
numbers underneath, I can't remember offhand).

> 2) If your simulator is on port 9000, put your first region on port 10000. It will reduce latency.

Er, no truth to this at all :)

> 3) Create a "first", empty, hidden simulator in ROBUST's directory (this is for ppl that clone the bin/ directory for
> each simulator). This will accelerate asset transfers.

Again, not true.

This might come from the fact that simulators have a disk asset cache and some people argue that disk is faster than
database.  However, when I last looked into this there was no conclusive evidence either way with many people saying
there's no difference and I've yet to see someone produce comparative benchmarks for the OpenSimulator case.

The asset service is not coded to use any Flotsam cache present anyway.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting