[Opensim-users] Varregion works :) but physics need update ...

Thomas Ringate tringate at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 21:13:48 UTC 2014

Isn't this dependent on your specific distribution of opensim?
My understanding is that opensim first loads opensimdefault.ini, then loads
opensim.ini, then loads grid.ini, and then loads gridcommon.ini

There is nothing wrong with the same parameter being defined in every one of
those files, and each can have a different setting.  The one that will be in
effect is the last one loaded.

So, lets say there is a parameter of:
"PARM1  = never" in opensimdefault.ini
"PARM1  = occasionally" in opensim.ini
"PARM1  = somtimes" in grid.ini
"PARM1  = always" in gridcommon.ini

The final setting of PARM1 will be "always" since that is the last value it
was set to.

It makes sense to put your modifications into the last file loaded to make
sure some other file does not change it on you.
You could add an include of your special modification to gridcommon.ini and
call it mychanges.ini and put that file in some directory totally safe from
updates.
Just remember the includes position in the file is where you statements will
reside.  In the setting a values make sure the same parameter is not set
after your include.
For me I put all my modifications at the end of gridcommon.ini

I could be all wet, but this has worked for me ever since I started doing
programming.  I doubt opensim uses any values until after it finishes