[Opensim-users] Has the 'stand up' bug in opensim been fixed?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll r.ramloll at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 01:21:22 UTC 2013

Hello Michael,
Unfortunately in my case, since my builds are deeply modular e.g. I have a
whole hospital with beds and chairs and so on ...linked, it is essential
that sitting works properly for linked objects. For NPCs, I bypass the
problem by forcing them to come back to the chair ... and the user may not
notice the jump away and back
Examples follow
http://youtu.be/4wcM5tyn7BY (where I try to sit NPCs in a linked building)
or here
http://youtu.be/2niBc2wOw10 (where I try to sit NPCs on strechers on
rollers ...somewhere towards the end).

But for avatars, I cannot move them via code ... live am able to with NPCs
with a lot of permission asking and so on that destroys usability.
I am on a mission to find the sweet spot for tailoring virtual learning
environments. So even if sitting works on root prim, it does not help too
much. The other problem I found is that if I rez a building and sitting
works fine, but then rotate it ever so slightly ... and boum standing up
goes weird... for avatars, they can pushed.
I know people want to create their own environments, and they definitely
want to control them. And in order to achieve this, we really need that the
infrastructure supports deep modularity (and so far I think opensim is the
ONLY environment that does (that has the potential to) ... well SL too, but
SL is no longer in my picture)
This approach for tailoring virtual environments also raises other issues
such as code management, but that I will discuss in another thread.
Ramesh