[Opensim-users] Microsoft Surface Pro and Windows 8.1 - Intel HD Graphics 4000 Issues

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 09:45:25 UTC 2013

Some advice from my experience in last 24 hours... in case you use
Firestorm or otherSecond Life viewers on a Microsoft Surface
Pro....  the Intel HD 4000 Graphics drivers in the official windows
updates of the firmware have caused crashes of the viewers on startup
and a manual install of the latest drivers from Intel was necessary
to fix the problem,.

The Windows 8.1 update on 17-Oct-2013 installs as standard Intel HD
Graphics 4000 drivers 10.18.10.3316 1-Oct-2013 which seems to fix
previous official Microsoft Surface driver issues for Second Life and
OpenSim viewers.  Pink screen issues on viewer close also fixed.

But System Hardware Update 5-Oct-2013 which then shows in Windows
Update for the Surface Pro reinstalls Intel HD 4000 Graphics drivers
9.18.10.3257 29-Jul-2013 and that seems to be bad... a previous
20+fps viewer runs very slowly at 0.4fps for some reason.

"Update" driver back to 3316 with drivers on the computer and frame
rate returns to 20+fps.

Since the 3316 driver does not seem to be on the Intel driver update
site at the moment, do that via

Device Manager -> Display Drivers -> Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Right click and select "Update Driver Software..."
Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
Select "Let me pick from a  list of drivers on my computer"
Choose the 3116 that was installed by the main windows 8.1 update.