[Opensim-users] A Way To "Physically" or "Locally" Embed A Video?

len at lenwbrown.com len at lenwbrown.com
Thu Feb 21 08:33:22 UTC 2013

Unless I'm mistaken, I know I cannot "import" a video to be used
in-world, but...

I've used video-on-a-prim for years and always used a referral URL for
the video file called from my own hosted website.  However, I'm working
on a project that has some short video clips along with slides and the
usual fluff for an interactive in-world tutorial.

I'd like the video clips to be embedded somehow so they are not called
from a web-based URL.

Is there a way for me to place these video clips locally within an
OpenSim folder, for example, and have them called from there to play
in-world?  I understand that I can't include the video clips themselves
in an OAR, unless I'm mistaken.  But if I can at least include them in a
pre-configured OpenSim folder (like Diva Distro) and offer that as a zip
file it would be really great.

The video files themselves are small and only add about 30 megs max to
the overall size of the final product if I can get this to work.  I just
don't want them hosted elsewhere in the event there's a future issue
with that host, thereby making them inaccessible in-world.

Thanks for any suggestions.