[Opensim-users] Metameets 2012

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 12 23:19:32 UTC 2012

Thanks Fleep (and everybody else) for their comments.

I was envisioning something very simple, at least for the first year, most preferably held on up to 4 regions of osgrid.
  This would be to make it simpler to control and troubleshoot, rather than having to co-ordinate with a number of
people and different grid conditions.  I think that it also provides better focus, though of course there's no reason
people couldn't also just go and visit other locations intergrid or hypergrid.

I would also try to squeeze as many avatars in a single voice-enabled location rather than relay to other places.  This
is probably the major technical challenge - I guess the obvious 'normal' thing to do is to meet at the intersection of 4
simulators.

I will be leaning very heavily on people like Avacon and yourself, Fleep, for organization since this is far from my
strong point.  So help will be really appreciated.

My own mental timetable is to start the ball rolling in earnest early next year (probably January) with a view to having
the conference in the last half or quarter of 2013.  So next year I will create a Google group and ask interested people
to join so we can start talking further and get volunteers.

Of course, any early suggestions from yourself (or anybody else) are very welcome since people have vastly more
experience and skill with this kind of stuff than do I!

Best,

Justin

On 11/10/12 06:21, Fleep Tuque wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> About a year ago, AvaCon discussed the possibility of organizing an online Opensim Users Conference, but it seemed like
> the timing wasn't good for many folks: http://www.avacon.org/blog/events/opensim-users-conference/   I'd need to check
> with the rest of the Avacon board since we haven't discussed it in a while, but I'm pretty sure we'd still be up for
> organizing or sponsoring/partnering with others if this is something the community would like to do.
>
> Personally I think it's a great idea, I'm sure there are tons of things we could all learn from each other, and I always
> love an excuse to go visit other grids!
>

> - Chris/Fleep
>

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Mic Bowman <cmickeyb at gmail.com <mailto:cmickeyb at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Sounds like a great idea.
>
>     On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Diva Canto <diva at metaverseink.com <mailto:diva at metaverseink.com>> wrote:
>      > On 10/10/2012 5:56 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>      >>
>      >> On another note, I think it would be good to have an OpenSimulator
>      >> conference at some point in OpenSimulator itself, maybe next year.  Of
>      >> course the problems are avatar limits (maybe Intel DSG could help with that)
>      >> and possible crashing (hence would have to be an 'alpha' free conference).
>      >> However, I don't think these would stop it from being a really valuable
>      >> thing to do.
>      >
>      >
>      > I would support this very much!