[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Snowcrash Short snowcrash.short at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 21:51:27 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Melanie <melanie at t-data.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 19/11/2012 22:17, Snowcrash Short wrote:
> >> If the items belong to the user. Purchased items do not belong tot
> >> he user. They belong to the creator and continue to belong to the
> >> creator, being licensed only for use on the one grid where they were
> >> purchased (licensed). Allowing these items to travel is called
> >> "copyright infringement", or, more often, "theft."
> >>
> > Whether this is theft or not really depends on how you define the term
> > "distribution". Unfortunately I have not seen a single consistent
> > definition of this term used, neither in the practical world nor in the
> > legislation governing ip rights, especially in the context of the
> internet.
> >

> It's not about distribution. That is a whole other kettle of fish.
>
> > Whether copying an item I have licensed but not created from the personal
> > inventory of one of my accounts to another is distribution, or merely
> > moving from one personal storage location to another is very much at an
> > open question which I doubt has no clear answer in any country.
>
> Transfer from one account to another on the same grid is governed by
> the "no copy" permission. Transfer off the grid is not allowed. It
> really is that simple but I'm really getting the impression that you
> don't want to accept that. I understand you'd like reality to be
> different and you'd like users to actually own their inventory
> outright but that s simply not the case. Some TOS restrict items to
> one grid only and don't allow download of items you have not
> yourself created. If you download something you acquired from
> someone else in one of those grids, it is theft. No matter what the
> purpose of the download is.
>
> - Melanie

Theft is a criminal act punishable by law, and illegal acquisition or
distribution of immaterial property (typically IP) is theft, what you are
referring to is "breach of contract" and requires that a contract has been
entered into by both parties. If no contract has been made made - in my
country it must be entered into explicitly - there cannot be a "breach of
contract".