[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

M.E. Verhagen marceled9 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 11:30:40 UTC 2012

I find this a bit confusing discussion.

I am for sure not happy when users upload a large inventory to my grid, and
it is pretty useless since they can easely take their inventory with them
when they come in through HG.

As for sure the user inventories are always stored in the database of a
grid, the viewers does not keep a local inventory. And the users have got a
license to use that inventory items on that grid and are under the tos of
that specific grid with the permissions granted when the item was aquired.
When they restore that inventory to another grid does that mean that one
inventory item has got two different tos with it ?

But I think it is oke when the veiwers would implement some sort of local
inventory service, from the point of my grid it does not matter if the
inventory comes from another grid or a local storage when a user comes in
through HG.

2012/11/19 Snowcrash Short <snowcrash.short at gmail.com>

> Whether to patch an angle of attack is definitely not my decision. If you
> and the core team are happy with the users and content creators in open
> grids being vulnerable, then I cannot do anything about it.
>
> But ... since standards are good, double ones must be....
>
> best regards
> Snowcrash
>
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Diva Canto <diva at metaverseink.com> wrote:
>
>> On 11/18/2012 12:23 PM, Snowcrash Short wrote:
>>
>>> E.g. the vulnerabilities discussed with Diva. They are a clear example
>>> of coders knowingly implementing security safeguards "client side (well
>>> simulator side, but in a hypergrid that is pretty much the same)".
>>> Fortunately - and to me hard to understand why they haven't - hardening the
>>> interfaces somewhat isn't that hard.
>>>

>> Snowcrash,
>>
>> I strongly suggest that you spend some more studying OpenSim. Your
>> assumptions are wrong. The lack of security in the internal services is not
>> an overlook; it's intentional.
>>
>> The grid services are exactly that -- internal grid services. They exist
>> with the sole purpose of sharing data among a set of simulators *operated
>> by the same entity*. That's what they are designed to do, and nothing else.
>> They don't have safeguards because they don't need them under those
>> circumstances. They are designed under the assumption that grid operators
>> will firewall them, because that's the absolute safest way of protecting
>> data. Open grids a-la OSGrid are incurring in a huge risk. Luckily there
>> aren't that many, at least not when compared to the total number of grids
>> that do the right thing. OSGrid is special -- it's a test grid, and we all
>> love it for that, security holes and all.
>>
>> The Hypergrid services are completely different and separate from the
>> internal grid services. They have all sorts of security guards designed for
>> the Hypergrid and not for general-purpose access. They are safe for the
>> purposes for which the HG has been designed.
>>
>> If you want grids to place their data on the Internet, you need to
>> provide a viable implementation of those services for whatever purposes you
>> have in mind. The internal services will not be patched, because they don't
>> need security.
>>
>> Diva

Groningen en Hannover Opensims:   secondlife://meverhagen.nl:8002:Hannover
ZW/