[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Sun Nov 18 20:39:04 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 18/11/2012 21:23, Snowcrash Short wrote:
> [...] The quality of search is
> such that the users are better served with out it. The security of the
> users is inventory, both due to security vulnerabilities and grids popping
> up and disappearing, is so poor that I would think twice before spending
> significant amount on acquiring content.

Search widely differs between grids. Some have good search, like my
grid, Avination, for instance, which fully supports search on the
same level as SL.

As for backing up - if it's something you purchased, you are not
supposed to possess an independent copy. All grids known to me that
have commerce license content for that grid only. If that grid
closes, your license lapses. That is by design. If you don't like
that, you are not required to spend money. Many people do purchase
because they have trust in the longevity of their grid. According to
TOS on the commercial grids, the act of creating a backup of a
purchased item is already infringing the TOS.

[...]

> This attitude is exactly the reason why I have deliberately kept my
> distance from the community, open source development is very much about
> code first talk later.

But it should not be "hurt the community first, talk later."

-Melanie