[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Snowcrash Short snowcrash.short at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 12:11:21 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Teravus Ovares <teravus at gmail.com> wrote:

> "I am a bit saddend by the vitriol in some of the replies I have received,
> they do not bode well for the future co-operation."
>
> 1. I'd like the content downloading portion of the code to be closed
> source so that it can't be easily mirrored by someone who doesn't care
> about permissions and working with the community.    As it stands now,
> tools that make stealing content easy are generally shunned by the
> community.    To your earlier statements about there being things out there
> that already steal content..   yes, I'm aware however, they're typically
> buggy, their maintainer is awol, the tool barely works..  or they're not
> really 'content downloaders by purpose', they're a dev library to implement
> a client (libOMV) and trying to get the library to download a full item is
> like pulling teeth.   Yes, the viewer /can/ download things, BUT,  as you
> note from the boards getting the viewer to do anything other then view is
> like pulling teeth also..     LibOMV nor a custom viewer are 'easy' to
> implement a full downloader like you're proposing...     so keeping it
> closed source /DOES/ assist in preventing wide scale content theft.

Some of the videos I have seen of ripping tools seems to suggest otherwise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWVsByboNok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ClL_cX7dLs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHblR9-X_tI&feature=watch-vrec
http://hidemyass.com/?gclid=CPvpn6Sz2LMCFdB8cAodpTcACg

As you can see from the videos copy-botting is quite different from backing
up the inventory. With your knowledge of programming you really should know
that any protection scheme based on obscurity if bound to fail, which to
above links to videos about already existing content theft tools clearly
demonstrates.

> 2. I'd also like there to be a 'grid transfer permission implemented
> techincally so that content creators can denote whether or not they want
> users to take content off grid. As it stands now, the 'ordinary course of
> business'(legal term) expectations are that content will stay where it was
> uploaded because that's how it's been except where hypergrid is
> activated.   Hypergrid is not activated by default...  therefore... because
> that's the norm, approving a tool to transfer content from grid to grid
> without a way to check if the content creator is allowing it...  isn't
> going to happen.   Content Creators wouldn't have expected that to be an
> option and couldn't have foreseen this change in expectations.

That may very well be, but unless a different agreement has been made
between the content creator and the licensee the rights of the user and
creator is governed by the rights assigned to each party by law, very
likely the law of the country where the licensee resides. This is really a
legal matter, and a grid transfer permission is a technical thing, which
has no real bearing in terms user/creator right unless there exists a
specific agreement on the meaning of said "grid transfer flag". Further
compounding the issue is standalone grids which are reachable via
hyper-grid.

The good news is that there already exists a model for how this can be
dealt with, it's called "the web". If you think of a region (or a grid) as
a web-site. Then the buildings, trees etc. can be considered content on
that web-site. The grid/region operator (which is a legal entity) clearly
is responsible for the content he or she has uploaded to that region. A
visitor to the site represented as an avatar (backed by a user who is a
legal entity) has no rights as such to the content within the region. The
user is solely responsible for the content which is used to represent the
avatar. If the user rezes an item and leaves it on the grid, the "safe
harboring" and DMCA provisions (which is a model quite a few countries have
adapted) should take place, unless the grid operator either lives in a
country or is hosting the grid from a server in a country where "safe
harboring" isn't applicable, then the grid operator may very well
responsible for the content rezed by the user, maybe even the appearance of
the avatar, depending on that countries interpretation of the word
distribution in an internet context.

> 3.  I have not seen much cooperation here from you.    You're shooting
> down valid feedback under the guise of 'I'm not sure I agree with you and a
> false understanding of user's rights'...     You've flatly ignored the
> things that I brought to your attention...    so, it shouldn't be a
> surprise that I'm expressing the consequences of your actions should you
> decide to not take the community's views into consideration.

Whether my understanding of user's rights if false or not is a matter of
opinion and differs wildly from country to country, in the end, only the
courts can determine who is right.

I don't think I have flatly refused much of anything in terms of
co-operation, e.g. I have agreed to let the community have a preview of the
functionality prior to releasing the source. On the contrary I have the
impression that unless I do exactly as even the most oppressive thinker
wants me to, then I am uncooperative, liable for legal action and the
application will be banned outright from connecting to any grid.

Digging trenches doesn't really help anything, if I were convinced that
opt-in wouldn't be a pillow used by grid operators to continue depriving
users of their legitimate rights then I would probably go for that model,
as well as the other things I have already conceded. Closed source is
however IMO bordering on the ludicrous, which doesn't provide any real
tightening of security, content creators don't get any additional
protection by going closed source as the above links clearly demonstrates.

I have, during my research for this project, discovered a number of
vulnerabilities, some of which has been a topic between Dahlia and I. I
have offered to help identify these vulnerabilities and help design fixes
for these, but of course that's probably also being uncooperative in your
eyes?

Best regards
Snowcrash