[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Snowcrash Short snowcrash.short at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 16:01:19 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Marcus Llewellyn <
marcus.llewellyn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/18/2012 3:31 AM, Snowcrash Short wrote:
>
>> I have given some thought about an "opt-in" policy and I am not really
>> convinced. It is my feeling that unless there exists a binding agreement
>> limiting the use rights of assets in the users inventory e.g. an accepted
>> TOS, then the user should be afforded the rights granted to him or her by
>> law.
>>

> This reasoning seems designed only to shift responsibility for respecting
> a creator's rights from yourself onto everyone

I hope you are not implying that I have at any time illegally copied
content. I have created a software tool, which I am about to release
shortly, and to my knowledge the tool does not have any features which
enables a user to perform unlawful acts, and even if it does in some
countries, there are very legitimate use-cases for MyInventory, so I'm not
really that concerned about lawsuits, otherwise the developers
of bit-torrent clients would have been tied down in litigation a long time
ago.

> else. And... see, this is one of the reasons you're seeing as much
> resistance as you are. It's a fine thing to stand up for and allow the
> exercise of user's rights. But these don't exist in a vacuum, and nor do
> you or your tool.
>
> The question here is, is it _reasonable_ to expect every grid and
> standalone (there's literally hundreds of grids out there in one form or
> another, even without standalones) out there to contact you and make their
> policies known to you? Is that even something you can reasonably promise to
> handle in a practical manner, before users begin using your tool on their
> grids?

There is probably no means of contacting every grid operator, but since my
tool doesn't violate any laws and give the user the ability to violate the
content creators IP rights, no real harm is done, unless there exists a
contract between a user and a grid operator, e.g. in the form of a TOS, the
obligations of the user, the grid operator and the content creator is
governed solely by law. If a contract exists MyInventory may, except for
the instances where I have been made aware of such a contract and
implemented code to prevent it, enable a user to violate said contract. In
the end such a violation will be a matter between the three legal entities
to resolve (User, Content Creator and Grid/Region operator), just as if the
user had violated the TOS in any other way. Note it is perfectly possible
to violate the LL TOS's using the

> Some of those publicly accessible little hobby grids out there don't have
> a TOS because they're, well, a hobby. These people don't tend to have a
> legal team on hand. They live in jurisdictions where, even with a TOS,
> they're open to the possibility of a lawsuit, even if they're completely
> innocent of any actual liability.

Everybody is open to the possibility of a lawsuit at any time.

> So when they hear about a tool like yours, that will default to letting
> users assume they can take copies of their inventories anywhere they
> please, I don't think it's any wonder that they respond to you more than a
> little fear and even vitriol. A hobby they love dearly, have invested
> probably a great deal of time and effort in, suddenly feels threatened.

I fail completely to see how this tool can be a threat, let alone to a
hobbyist running a small grid. If content creators labor under the wrong
impression that this tool is like copy-bot, then I could see why some
content creators might see this as a problem.

Is this your problem? Well, no. It isn't. Objectively, that's not your