[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Snowcrash Short snowcrash.short at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 07:47:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM, What Virtual World - Martin Forster <
blackberry at forsterinternet.nl> wrote:

> **
> Hello Snowcrash,
>
> I think it is good having software to backup your items but....
> As melanie sayed before, the ability to backup "Any" item would not be a
> good idea as your software will be banned from major grids due to this.
> To be honest we would also blacklist your software if we think it can be
> at harm for the creators in our grid.
>
> Please think if this:
> Most people can not make a "copybot vieuwer" as the things people need for
> that are available but also complicated to build if you dont have any
> experiance.
> If your software is easy to compile without any knowledge it will be a
> base for people to create these "copybot's" with.
> This will not be the best advertisment for your software in my believe.
>
> I think it will be best not to make it an opensource project .. but
> just distribute only in binary form.
> Also making it TPV compliant will be even better.
> If it protects content from beeing ilegaly copied on "any grid" we will
> support it for sure.
>
> Just my two cents ...

The backup feature, which really is only a small part of the overall
featureset, currently operates in one of two modes, TPV compliant mode and
unrestricted mode. MyInventory forces the download component to be TPV
compatible when connecting to any known Linden Labs grid (and similar
protection is underway for other grids), My original mail had two topics.

1) Which grids would like to have the same hardcoded protection level
against unrestricted download as Linden Labs
2) This tool may - if it becomes popular - create a lot of duplicate
assets, therefore I came up with a suggestion on how to alleviate this
problem.

Going closed source is simply "security by obscurity" under a different
name, the "black hatters" already have the ability to take what they want,
claiming that content creators assets are safe is simply not true, and that
fact holds for Linden Labs grids as well.

Even if you decide to block MyInventory, the blocking tools are so
inadequate in these days of fast recycling DHCP servers, that all you will
manage to do is to block out legitimate users, the "black hatters" can
easily get around these limitations. And is that really what you want?

Best regards,