[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Marcus Llewellyn marcus.llewellyn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 13:42:32 UTC 2012

On 11/15/2012 6:50 AM, Snowcrash Short wrote:
> Before this gets out of hand, let me clarify, this is not a backup
> tool, at least no per se, one of the features is the ability to backup
> content from an existing account (a backup which is governed by a policy).

If, by getting out of hand, you mean before this gets into details that
complicate what is an otherwise (relatively) simple premise that allows
users to manage content, I'm afraid that you'll find it's already
complicated. I think you're being very brave here, and risking some very
real, possibly very nasty consequences. It is my intention only to offer
a note of caution. :)

> The primary goal of the project is to move the inventory and the
> assets to their rightful users and to empower the users to use the
> assets as they want - within legal limits.
>
> In an ideal world - except for special cases, the inventory and the
> assets backing the inventory is controlled by the user, and that is
> the goal of the project, to bring the inventory under the control of
> the user.

In an ideal world, those same users would know and respect the rights
that content creators retain over those inventory items. You may not
like it, I may not like it, and some ideologies might discount those
rights, but they exists anyway. The majority of users I interact with
seem to have the mistaken belief that full permissions items are the
same as having been placed in the public domain, and that they can take
them anywhere and do anything with them when this simply isn't true. And
when some content creator or grid operator needs to knock on someone's
door to discuss ideological differences, yours will be at the top of
their list.

> To this purpose it currently has two input streams supporting it (one
> more is planned), the first is client side access to .iar files, the
> second is download from the users existing inventory, to the extent
> allowed by law and agreements made between the user and grid operators.

I have to freely admit that I'm basing my statements on a preconceived
idea of what this software is and does. I suppose that won't be
completely clear until an actual binary is available which clearly
exhibits it's abilities and functions.

> Knowing that only a few of the grid operators using Open Sim has
> policies in place, this email serves as an invitation to make these
> policies public, and to implement - to the extent possible - these
> policies in MyInventory.

I think it's admiral of you to try to notify grid operators of this, but
that you'll find that a message on this list isn't sufficient to reach
all grid operators, or even that all grid operators will become aware of
your project before some user uses it in a manner that someone does not
care for. I retain the opinion (an opinion with no legal expertise) that
the safest option for you is to default to a policy that matches that
set by LL for SL unless otherwise indicated by those who own a grid.

> The question of attribution is only relevant when the assets are being
> distributed, MyInventory has currently no functionality for
> distribution. The as yet unfinished and only hinted at third input
> stream deals with distribution. The current implementation does not
> distribute any data, it only grants a user simpler way access to the
> assets the user has rightfully access to.

I suppose it depends on whether the software allows inventory from one
grid to be moved to another grid (I find I'm unclear on this) and just
how you define distribution (a point where a lawyer would be pretty handy).

Again... I'd love an easier, dependable method to manage my various
virtual world inventories. I look forward to seeing the actual
implementation of this in action. And you should, of course, feel free
to tell me to take a hike and take my two cents and the horse I rode in
on with me. :)

Marcus