[Opensim-users] A bit confused

Oren Hurvitz orenh at kitely.com
Wed Nov 7 16:36:06 UTC 2012

I've been looking at this issue as well, and it's pretty certain that it's
due to the number of HTTP inventory requests sent from the viewer. I added
logging that shows that when the number of incoming HTTP requests to OpenSim
exceeds about 10/second it starts handling requests very slowly (i.e.,
handling 50 requests at once is slower than handling 50 requests that come
in one at a time). I was actually able to improve performance a bit by
adding delays to make OpenSim accept incoming HTTP connections more slowly!
But that's a dirty hack, and I'm looking for a better solution.

I have found that one reliable source of problems happens when a user
logs-in: the LLLoginResponse packet includes a list of all of the user's
active gestures, and then the viewer sends *separate* FetchInventory
requests for each of those gestures. For example, if the user has 50 active
gestures then the viewer sends 50 HTTP requests at once, and that overwhelms
OpenSim for a while. During that time other requests from the client are
also handled slowly.

I've put in a request to Firestorm (as the leading OpenSim viewer) to change
their behavior so that they'll request all of the gestures at once: see
http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-8146 . But they've put this issue
on the "Wishlist", so unless someone steps in (Armin Weatherwax?) this might
never be fixed on the viewer side.