[Opensim-users] Your Viewer and why?

Akira Sonoda akira.sonoda.1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 11:54:04 UTC 2012

Hi Steven

Am 2. März 2012 21:27 schrieb Steven Salter <ssalter at indiana.edu>:

> There are a lot of viewers out there. I am not overly interested in going
> to SL except to see what marvelous things people are creating so I don't
> plan on using the SL viewer very often.

On the mac  i use mainly Singularity even if the build is not in the most
current state
Sometimes i use Impru as well on the mac even with the 6 error messages
during startup.
The most current 1.4 beta i don't use because music does not play
Phoenix and Firestorm... I don't like both. whenever i use them things get
messy.

On Linux, the situation pretty much the same. Mainily Singularity, current
version but does not play music
Impru 1.3.x or 1.4.x because they play music therefore i use them mostly on
parties with DJ's or live concerts.
Phoenix and Firestorm... The same on Linux as on mac and i can't get used
to the new Firestorm user interface.

I have no idea what intentions are behind all those efforts of the
different viewers. Improving usability? All those new/different menus and
panels ( especially the preferences dialog ) it confuses more than it
helps. Better rendering capabilities e.g. the kirsten viewer. Nice idea!
but also there i hardly can get used to the ui.

Better Stability. Imprudence is very nice and Singularity is very nice on
Linux as well. Those crashe mentioned in an other post I've mainly seen on
mac.

Therefore I mostly work under Linux right now, because i get the more
current versions than on mac.

There are certainly a lot of other viewers out there as well. But I need to
be productive and get things done, therefore stability is most important.
Things have to materialize quickly and correctly, sharp and not blurry
textures no cloud avatars. That's the second important feature.
The viewer should be nice to the sims as well. There are some issues
especially with the newer viewers using http textures and the OpenSim.
Thats the third important feature.

The newest and latest Features like Meshes are not so important for me they
are quite new and I have no problems to wait until those features get more
mature, because I am not building so much.

Here's the viewer stats from the last 24 hours on all the Sims I maintain:
https://plus.google.com/photos/109108978167407050970/albums/5721203138429046561?authkey=CNiV9-3LyMu7cQ