[Opensim-users] Hypergrid & USB stick

Owen Kelly owen.kelly at arcada.fi
Fri Mar 9 12:32:35 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am having trouble thinking through a problem I seem to be having with an educational project for children we are making using OpenSim. The children all have individual single-user pocket worlds which they keep on usb sticks. (The installation uses Ener Hax's sim-on-a-stick.) We want them each to be able to teleport to a shared social world on our university server, much like Topology B on this page: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Hypergrid

The social world has a static IP address. The usb sticks have no IP address that is knowable in advance.

This project is intended to work with 2 school classes, and the staff and pupils of those classes should be the only people in the social world. The usb sticks should definitely not be on the public map. Neither should the social world be available except from the usb sticks, which should only be able to transport their users from the pocket world to the social world and back again.

I have read all the documentation and tutorials that I can find about hypergridding, but I am still not sure of the best way to approach this. I have an uneasy suspicion that this may be very simple and I am foolishly over-thinking it.

Could anyone offer any guidance please? I would be happy for anything from a suggested starting point to a step-by-step guide.

Many thanks
Owen