[Opensim-users] Exporting from Second Life

dz dz at bitzend.net
Sat Jul 7 06:56:13 UTC 2012

> From: Drew Hart <drewehart at gmail.com>
> To: opensim-users at lists.berlios.de
> Subject: [Opensim-users] Exporting from Second Life
>
> So i used to use Second Inventory but that doesn't seem to be active
> anymore.  How do I export animations, etc., from Second Life for transfer
> to say OpenSim?  And yes, these are my animations and/or I paid for rights
> to transfer them to another grid.  Thanks,
>
> Drew
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 19:32:42 -0400
> From: Drew Hart <drewehart at gmail.com>
> To: opensim-users at lists.berlios.de
> Subject: [Opensim-users] Please don't judge
>
> okay, this is the second post.  Here is what I am getting at.  Stroker, the
> creator of SexGen open sourced and gave full permissions to do whatever
> with his creations when he left SL.  There was some dispute by his
> partners, but they made a script that removes all the disputed animations.
> Obviously, I can copy text for the scripts, but I would like to move the
> animations to my personal grid.  I can see no way to do this.  I don't see
> any moral or legal issues as he was very clear as to his intent to
> completely open source it and I have removed the disputed animations - but
> without the original files, it is no longer possible to export animations
> even that have full perms that I know of if you are not the creator.  I
> didn't want to say this because of the whole judgement/sex angle, but what
> the heck.  Is there any solution to get those animations out of SL.  I am
> sure I am not the only one interested in this - I don't plan to profit
> (though I could by the terms of his release), just want to use them in a
> grid outside of SL.  And there are other objects that fall into this same
> category - person leaves SL, opens it, but without the original files, you
> can't move them out of SL anymore.  Thoughts?  Thanks,
>
> Drew

There's a couple important concepts about animations and licenses...

First...Full Perm on Second Life  does NOT mean you are "allowed" to export
them to any other grid.
    Many SL animators specifically PROHIBIT use of their creations on
OpenSim based grids.
    A lot of the sculpty makers do the same thing...   you are welcome to
buy full perm on SL grid, but you MAY NOT export the shapes.
    Since you brought up Stroker as an example...you are also aware that
what someone says/thinks a license says
    SOMETIMES isn't what the creator specified...  Rather than putting
yourself and the grid operator in the position
    of answering DCMA demands, you might limit your Grid imports to the
objects with clear titles.

Second...  The process of uploading the BVH animation file modifies the
result into a form designed to send to viewers..
    Animations differ from almost every other form of in-world object, in
that you cant re-create it from the packets required to display it in a
viewer,
    I'm pretty sure the effort it would take to reverse engineer the BVH
file from the animation info "users" have access to...
    and probability of legal consequences have been deterrents to
development of such a utility.

That said... there are animators who are willing to provide the BVH format
files for upload to whatever grid will accept them,
but you will find that they expect you to pay them FULL price..   For
example...  a marketplace search led to
http://inf-designs.com/.. selling sets of 12-15 couple animations for
about 60 USD.  ( disclaimer.. this was just
an exercise in finding "market prices".. I am NOT recommending them as a
source of animations... )

While the new advances in Motion Capture via Kinect promise to reduce the
cost of generating "custom" animations,
the current costs of  motion capture studio time (thousand of dollars for
recording/editing/formatting a 30 second animation)
make it unlikely that creators will be sympathetic to requests to allow
uploading to grids that cannot provide any real form of copy protection.