[Opensim-users] grid configuration

Fleep Tuque fleep513 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 14:08:23 UTC 2012

Hi Tfateme,

Setting up the networking properly is, in my opinion, the most difficult
and complicated part of running a grid. It's hard to even help someone
troubleshoot because there are so many variables involved.  The most
comprehensive documentation available is at:
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Network_Settings

Here's a list of questions that might help us figure out what's going on,
assuming you're running your grid from home:

1.  Are you running in grid mode (ROBUST) or standalone mode?  Or using the
Diva Distro?

2.  Can you paste in the settings for one of your regions from the
regions.ini file so we can see what you have listed as your internal and
external IP settings?

3.  What is the model of your router/modem and is it listed as supporting
NAT loopback at  http://opensimulator.org/wiki/NAT_Loopback_Routers ?

4.  Did you set up port forwarding on your router for the appropriate ports
for your grid configuration, as per the instructions at
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Network_Settings#NAT_and_Port_Forwarding ?

5.  Are you running a firewall on the machine where your grid is hosted?
 If so, did you open the same ports from question 2 for your firewall?

6.  Are you running anti-virus software on the machine where your grid is
hosted?  If so have you turned it off for testing to see if that is the
problem?

7.  When you try to connect to your grid from INSIDE your home network,
what do you see on the robust/opensim console?  Anything at all?

8.  When you have a friend try to connect to your grid from OUTSIDE your
home network, what do you see on the robust/opensim console?  Anything at
all?

9.  What is the exact error message when the connection fails or exact
wording when the connection starts to hang on the client when you try to
connect from both inside and outside your home network?

This list isn't exhaustive by any means, but if you can provide us with the
answers it might give us a place to start helping you troubleshoot.

- Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive