[Opensim-users] Opensim: Linux vs. Windows

Chris mewtwo0641 at cox.net
Thu Sep 15 22:06:09 UTC 2011

Just my own experiences Linux seems to be a bit more robust and less
memory intensive than Windows (as far as resources needed by the
operating system).

Downside is, on Linux, OpenSim needs to run on Mono which in its current
state is very slow at compiling scripts. Windows on the other hand
(using .NET) is much faster at compiling scripts.

I would say if you aren't going to be using/writing a lot of scripts and
aren't worried about script compile speed then go Linux. If script
compile speed is critical or you will be using / writing a lot of them
then go Windows :)

Just my opinions of course. If any thing I've said is not correct please
by all means correct it ^^

On 9/15/2011 4:24 PM, Levi Martson wrote:
> Hi folks, I'm looking for some input on what you think is a better OS
> to run mission-critical OpenSim instances on: Windows or Linux. I
> currently run on Windows, but I'm starting to run mission-critical
> instances, and if Linux is better than I want to move to that. Any
> thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Levi

OpenSim: 9 Region Standalone on 0.7.2 Dev
OS: Windows XP 32 Bit
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz
Memory: 3 GB DDR3
Database: MySQL 5.1.11