[Opensim-users] Retaining correct creator/owner when moving OARs between stand-alone simulators.

Cider Jack ciderjack.vw at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 02:44:26 UTC 2011

This makes perfect sense to me. No reason for the creator to be the
owner when the creator might not even exist on the new grid. Also
keeps the permissions functional, as mentioned.

On a related note though, I'm a bit concerned whether I'm reading this right:
"2. Otherwise, if a user with the same *name* as the creator exists then that
user's UUID is used."

I'm reading this to mean that if an avatar name of "John Jones"
creates an object on SoaS, then someone uploads the oar/iar to
something like OSGrid, ReactionGrid, whathaveyou, where there is a
completely random/unrelated avatar on that grid named "John Jones".
This means that the second John Jones is shown as creator, even though
they have nothing to do with it?

This might be a concern not only for the original creator potentially
losing credit, but it seems it might open a simple exploit for
griefing purposes. Say that John Jones on OSGrid has nothing to do
with an obscene/illegal item that was imported. They could be held
accountable for something they have absolutely nothing to do with.
Even if their name is cleared with the grid manager (shouldn't take
much investigation, as the object's owner name would be a good place
to start), their wider reputation on (and off) that grid could be
irreparably damaged. For avatars using RL names this could potentially
impact their RL.

But then again, perhaps I haven't properly grasped how this works.