[Opensim-users] Animations

Mike Chase mike.chase at alternatemetaverse.com
Sun Oct 16 18:47:28 UTC 2011

On 10/16/2011 01:50 PM, Wayne wrote:

> Hi Lindy and thank you.
> I've spent hundreds of dollars on animations in SL and I think it's a
> crime to find that, in essence, I am only renting them.
Did you get them as a work for hire?  Have a contract that says you can
reuse them?  This is no different than software or other intellectual
property.  Ownership vests in the person that *created* them.  You paid
for a right to use. And in that case, only in the context of SL; A given
since there's no way to export them legitimately.  People who create
textures often include terms of use to address this because textures are
more easily moved around.  But if you "buy" textures in SL you get them
with a right to use them, possibly spelled out in a license.  Ownership
is still only the creator.

Just had to clarify this.  There's too much oppourtunity to abuse
content creators rights in the virtual world space.

Mike