[Opensim-users] Sitting an NPC

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 13 17:51:31 UTC 2011

Yes, things get difficult because the viewer has no support for NPCs per se.  So you have to do stuff like saving state
in notecards to work around this.  However, it's probably worth looking at the script attachment issue sometime.

Wish lists, wish lists :)

On 13/10/11 17:04, Marcus Llewellyn wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:03 PM, David Burden <david.burden at daden.co.uk <mailto:david.burden at daden.co.uk>> wrote:
>

>     I also can't get scripts in attachments to stay working once rezzed back out of the notecard - known problem or am I
>     doing something wrong?
>

> Scripts attached to an NPC have been working fine for me. One thing to remember (sorry if it's obvious) is that
> attachments on an NPC won't run on land that restricts script execution to a group, or to the region owner. This is
> unfortunate, as it makes using NPCs that have scripted attachments while maintaining a defense against griefers pretty
> much impossible. And since NPC UUIDs aren't persistent, you cannot have them join a group or provide any real exception
> for them really.
>
> Right now, you can either let everyone on your parcel/region run scripts so that NPCs can run them too, or stick to
> controlling the NPC from an unattached object owned by you or another privileged user.
>
> As far as sitting goes, the best I've been able to do is to attach a chair to the NPC, and use osAvatarPlayAnimation to
> perform a sit animation tailored to fit the situation. Not ideal, but it works.
>
> Part of the problem here is that it seems as though as far as the simulator goes, NPCs are a first class user agent. It
> treats them just like any other client connected to the sim, but without the network overhead. It would be nice if NPCs
> were somewhere between a user and an object which could be owned, and which either inherited privileges from its owner,
> or could be assigned persistant privileges of its own.
>
> Better stop there before I start on a whole long wish list. ;)
>
> Marcus

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org/blog
http://twitter.com/justincc