[Opensim-users] Opensim-users Digest, Vol 45, Issue 21

Antoine Bapst bapst at 2bo.com
Thu May 12 06:58:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 15:05 +0200, Antoine Bapst wrote:
> I'm currently working "client side" on avatars (skin, clothes,
> animations) and I found that positionning and rendering are somehow
desapointing.
> Is there any way we could modify the shapes (I mean the way outer
> bodys are made, not the skeletton itself; we can't override animation
> base principes)

Resp. 1 : I think the default AV mesh is bundled in the viewer -- if this is
for some special application where you customize the client anyway, you can
just replace it there with your modified mesh. It is some creative commons
license, we also bundle it in the Naali viewer (just converted to the Ogre
format which is native there). I think it is there as a .obj or something on
the Linden site (used to be in a zip called art pack or so), don't know what
format slviewer uses to load it but I think you should be able to edit it
with Blender or 3dsmax or so.

With the Linden mesh support in the experimental builds of slviewer2 now, I
think you can also use arbitrary meshes as avatars. Haven't tested myself
but heard people talk about it.

realXtend has also always (for 3 years) allowed using arbitrary meshes as
avatars, and also using custom materials on them (like on any mesh) for e.g.
toon shading for cartoon like looks. Nowadays works so that you just put a
URL to your av mesh in your av xml / using the editor. For example these
bunnies work as avatars :)
http://www.realxtend.org/kuvat/rex_bunnyworld3.jpg

> Antoine

~Toni

Resp 2 : Thank you Toni, I'll dig in these directions. I just wonder how, if
Avis are Player embedded, others can see the same way one Avi that is not
standard ... but the answer is probably in your references, I'll get that
:-)
Antoine