[Opensim-users] Room management application

Toni Alatalo toni at playsign.net
Mon May 2 08:16:00 UTC 2011

On May 2, 2011, at 10:26 AM, Karl Haas wrote:
> I'm thinking about a solution that allows to continue the session within a different environment. Therefore i just want to store the size, the position and the content of objects. How to recreate the object should be up to the environment (e.g. the region module). I'm not sure which limitations and drawbacks this will cause, but the main goal of the work is to learn more about the available technologies.

i figure it'd be ok to do that with files -- is a fair requirement that the platform allows the env to be serialized. Opensim does that with oar/xml2, which used to be just automated .net serializations of the scene objects (iirc  Diva made a bit on top of that recently, to have control of the format to ease compatibility cross different opensim versions). Tundra has it as the txml & tbin formats. VastPark is all built on the file based scene format they have etc.

> Thanks for your input - i don't know yet how much i can implement within my master's thesis and if somebody will continue the project...

Fair enough. I suspect even just how you view and analyze the requirements and design some toolset for working with the configs will be interesting .. at least if/when there's enough of an implementation that we can actually try it too :)

Have fun!

~Toni