[Opensim-users] NAT & Corporate Firewall

Mike Chase mike.chase at alternatemetaverse.com
Wed Mar 30 16:25:10 UTC 2011

On 03/30/2011 12:16 PM, Edmund Edgar wrote:
> This probably won't help Fleep, but does anyone know what this
> broken-Englished sentence on the wiki is supposed to say?
>
> # Internal IP address - This should always be 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0 means
> "listen for connections on any interface", basically a wildcard) if
> you want to access this server from the internet or another server on
> your internal network, this should be the IP address assigned to the
> OpenSim Server.
>
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Configuration

On a computer that has multiple "nics" (virtual or otherwise) 0.0.0.0
binds to all of the nics (i.e traffic can come in any of the nics)
rather than a specific IP address which is bound to a specific nic.

I cant say why the wildcard address wouldn't work externally (the second
half of the paragraph).  I havent looked that closely at the connection
code.

Mike