[Opensim-users] Want to log avvie position and facing direction to a file

Simon Slavin s.slavin at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Mar 30 12:22:50 UTC 2011

Dear folks,

OpenSimulator Server  0.6.4.9289 (latest I can run on a Mac), Imprudence client

We would like to use OpenSim to perform some Psychology experiments.  One of the things I need out of it is the ability to log an avvie's position (and preferably the direction it's facing) to a file on disk.  It would be enough to log these either once per second, or every time the avvie moves more than 2 metres, whichever turns out easiest to program.  The lines must be timestamped, but I'm not fussy what format the time is in, as long as I can interpret it.

In this same file I would like to be able to be able to have other scripts generate lines, for example "Avvie got within 2 metres of destination.", so it would be nice to have a function I could use in any script which would add a line to this file.

Ideally a new file would be created with just this information, but if a distinctive piece of text can be added on the appropriate lines, it's okay if this information is put in a file with other log lines (perhaps a debug log file ?), and I will write a script afterwards to extract just the lines I care about.

I have looked at LSL (I'm almost entirely new to all forms of VR application) but I cannot see a way to log to a text file.  However I'm hoping I missed it.  If this is not possible I might be able to use the HTTP functions, and I will write a web-facing log system in PHP or something.  However, I do not see any examples of how to write the LSL side of this, and it would be a far slower more annoying solution than simply logging positions to a file.

I would be grateful for any help or pointers anyone can provide.

Simon.