[Opensim-users] Help with port forwarding for OpenSim

Teravus Ovares teravus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 21:05:59 UTC 2011

I think setting up your network hardware is beyond the of scope for
this list.     On that note, I took a look at the screen shots
presented and I'm not sure how to forward ports statically through
that interface.   It appears to be an application style port
forwarding with a trigger.   Opensimulator doesn't generate any
'triggers', so this may be what you're running into.

To your second question about using the computer name.    It really
depends on the router.   Typically when I use port forwarding, I set
up my computer on a static IP address on the internal network behind
the router and then tell the router to send any traffic on the
appropriate ports to that static IP address that I set up.   A typical
internal IP address may look like,(class C) 192.168.1.5 or
192.168.100.40 or (Class A) 10.1.1.60.

I do see that there's a DMZ option on your device (It's that DMZ link
under the .Application Sharing link on the left navigation bar).   If
you set your OpenSimulator computer as the computer in the DMZ
(DeMilitarized Zone), and make sure that your firewall is 'off', It'll
work, but it will mean that your OpenSimulator computer is essentially
'directly' on the internet which has some considerable security
implications.  (read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_%28computing%29
)

Regards

Teravus