[Opensim-users] Voice and MOAP in the same grid?

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 10:30:36 UTC 2011

>From: Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc at googlemail.com>
>I know Freeswitch is currently a pain to set up, but I would be a
>little surprised if it's not working with Viewer 2 as
>well.  Austin - have you used it with Viewer 2?

FreeSwitch voice is working fine with Viewer 1.23.5 (and it should
work fine also with the many third party viewers based on Viewer 1
code).  Its been working for us under 0.6.9 and 0.7.0.x and with
melanie's revised structure with remote and local connectors under
0.7.1.  You can try it out if you wish on OSGrid add-on regions
Vue-3200 or Vue-6400 which we host here at the Virtual University of
Edinburgh and which uses our single FreeSwitch server which also
serves the main Openvue grid regions.

We have not ever been able to get FreeSwitch voice in OpenSim to work
with Viewer 2.. though I am not sure what the issue is, unless its a
change in the SLVoice.exe or SL Voice protocols.  Maybe Melanie can
comment on whether that can be made to work.  It would be good if it
was, as Viewer 2 is all we really use nowadays and its a pain to have
to switch back to Viewer 1.23.5 just to get voice.. which we really need.

But its worse than that as the current 0.7.1 dev version of
Freeswitch actually locks up with Viewer 2 if the default of voice
being set to on is in use by ANY SINGLE user.  I hope this can be
fixed (even if just by not allowing a voice connection to be tried by
the server if Viewer 2 is in use) before a 0.7.1 release candidate. See

I have been giving InuYasha some assistance already in direct
messages, but with regards to firewalls, you should be able to open
the relevant ports required if you are authorized to do so by your
network provider.

With regards to configuration... the FreeSwitch server config files
seem to require IP NUMBERS and whren openSim gives talks with the
server such numbers seem to want to be exchanged. So the FreeSwitch
server settings in ithe OpenSim config file aside also seem to
require to be  IP numbers too.  Note that  EVERYWHERE else in our
OpenSim.ini and Robust.HG.ini files we use fully qualified externally
accessible DNS names or aliases rather than IP numbers of local host names.

>Alternatively, you might want to look at Whisper if all your clients
>are on Windows and you don't mind replacing the
>SLVoice.exe.
>http://whisper.vcomm.ch/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62

At some stage we will switch to Whsiper once it works with Viewer 2
and hopefully with the default SLVoice.exe, as its complex for normal
users to be told to use the SLVoice.exe swapping mechanism and it
would put them off.. as well as likely leaving them confused when
they switch between OpenSim and Second Life.

Its pretty easy for the viewer side really though really.  I keep a
COPY of the viewer folder with the custom SLVoice.exe installed and
never switch back and forth.  I just have a shortcut on my desktop to
one or the other.