[Opensim-users] Section [GridInfo] for grid setups missing

jabbaah jabba at annuna.net
Tue Sep 21 05:56:14 UTC 2010

  Hi all,

last days I wrote to mantis reports about this topic:

[opensim 0005051]: osGetGridName(), osGetGridNick() and
osGetGridLoginURI broken

With this first report I've learnt from Melanie that it works as
designed, meaning
everyone has to include the [GridInfo] in the file OpenSim.ini.

Further testing showed me that I was not able to find a HG1.5 grid which
had those
variables reasonably set. When taking into account that the section is
generally missing
from OpenSim.ini since 0.7.0 it's fairly clear that most people will
hardly re-add it manually.
At least if you don't use the OSSL functions mentionned above, you won't
even note it.

But I understood that the OSSL functions aren't broken. So closing this
report was ok.
Nevertheless the problem stays the same - it now has another reason... ;-)

So I wrote a second report:

[opensim 0005054]: Section [GridInfo] is missing from OpenSim.ini

I took the time and did my best to explain the problem. And I've learnt
that the GridInfo
issue is solved for standalone. But it still isn't for grid setups.
But there is a GridInfo section in the ROBUST setup. So my proposal was
to get this info
from ROBUST server grid-wide. This looks reasonable to me as the grid
info should be
the same for a whole grid. It is not very logical to have every region
owner do his very
own grid info in his local OpenSim.ini - mostly resulting in different
grid info settings
all over the same grid.

But this report was closed again:
"This works as designed. Please stop making new Mantii when I close the
old one."

Sorry, but to be honest - this is frustrating...
If this works as designed I have no clue where to find the design spec?
Is there any?
How can I learn what was designed?

Well, it seems to me that my second report has been closed without
reading it completely.
I admit that the problem is fairly related to the first one - but not at
all the same!
 From practical testing I know that there is (nearly) noone configuring
the GridInfo section
in grid mode setups. Hm, this situation is as designed?

Why someone should design a configurable grid settings section in
standalone setups
but throw away this section in grid setup config files?

Maybe I'm just a bit frustrated about the short reply "This works as
designed". If you dont
have the opportunity to find out yourself what is this "designed" it
hardly makes any sense
to write mantis reports.

So, where do I have the opportunity to find out what is designed or
planned for a specific
software release? How can one test if you don't know how it is planned
to work and even
the developers doesn't explain a specific behaviour of a software part
in question?

Sorry, for the amount of text. Just wanted to make sure to be understood
as I failed twice
in this the last days ;-). This is not a complaint but a general
question how to get further
information on specific designed software parts.

jabbaah