[Opensim-users] Configure an OpenSim to use the ROBUST services

Karen Palen karenpalensl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 21:05:01 UTC 2010

I am using an Airlink ar325W - this is a low end consumer router/wifi that I
bought on sale for $14.95!

I HAVE found that the box running OpenSim must be in the "DMZ" (open access
to ALL ports) AND I need each port individually routed to that IP address
(192.161.1.107 in my case).

It appears that the handshaking process when you connect to a region opens a
random port in the 60000 range which it needs to connect.

You also need to be sure that EVERY reference both in the config,ini
(myworld.ini for diva) and the regions.ini point to the SAME URL.

In my case that is normally:
http://mars-simulator.hobby-site.org:9000/wifi(polite visitors welcome
:-) ).

This weekend I did a demo at a SciFi convention with no Internet connection
and changed both INI files to "192.168.1.107". Everything worked fine after
a few minutes of waiting for the old settings to timeout.

Naturally Hypergrid did not work, but everything else worked just fine!

I have just reset everything to the normal external address
http://mars-simulator.hobby-site.org:9000/wifi and things started up with no
problems - so far. :-)

I definitely suggest setting up the Diva distro to start with if only to
resolve these kinds of issues and give you a "gold standard" for reference!

In my case (10 regions, max 6 users at once) the Diva distro has proven more
than adequate for my needs.

I am using a low end AMD Athlon II X3 445 (3 core) processor (Fry's for $64)
which handles the CPU load nicely (more in the wiki ASAP)

Karen