[Opensim-users] triggering videos

Kyle Hamilton aerowolf at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 21:24:30 UTC 2010

What I'm seeing in the OP's problem statement is:

"I have video files that already exist that need to be played when
people approach my prims.  I can do this either with a browser or by
playing inside OpenSim, and I would like to know which is easier."

I seem to recall that, at one point, there was only one texture per
parcel that could play a video stream, and that stream would be
obtained from a specific URL set up by the land owner?

This is rather tedious and error-prone, as it was an afterthought by
Linden and needed to allow users to interface via the client, not any
other mechanism.  It might be possible to change the URL dynamically
via a script, but then the URL change will affect all viewers of that
texture simultaneously.

The better bet is probably to trigger an external browser.  This
allows you to keep all of your URLs in a script, and update them at
once rather than one at a time.  It also allows you to control your
users' experience much more closely.

-Kyle H