[Opensim-users] Opensim-users Digest, Vol 38, Issue 24

Teravus Ovares teravus at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 13:52:01 UTC 2010

Hi there Mr Villano

Mac OSX does work with Mono/OpenSimulator.   Intel Macs work better then
PowerPC macs.   There's an incompatibility in the SQLite data storage
mechanism as a result of version differences in the crypto library used when
the native part of sqlite was compiled.

There are other Data storage plugins, such as MySQL, MSSQL, etc).   Even so,
in an attempt to mitigate the problem, I packaged-in a completely managed
implementation of the SQLite library called csharp-sqlite and custom wrote a
set of ADO.NET bindings for it.  The csharp-sqlite plugin is experimental
but it should enable you to use the SQLite data storage plugin.

Details on how to enable the csharp-sqlite managed implementation of Sqlite
follow:

-------------------------------------
Hey there

Since I have not had much response to my CSharpSqlite query in June, I
went ahead and committed the CSharpSqlite binary as well as my custom
ADO.NET <http://ado.net/> wrapper for CSharpSqlite.   The source for them is
OpenSimLibs/trunk/managed.

Commit Hash: acd5bbdb71682131be386b7a5ce190
4622b0ee70
ViewGit:
http://opensimulator.org/viewgit/?a=commit&p=opensim&h=acd5bbdb71682131be386b7a5ce1904622b0ee70

For those of you who do not know what CSharpSqlite is, I suggest you
read: http://code.google.com/p/csharp-sqlite/
written in C#.   There are no native libraries associated with it.
This has the advantage of having it work, out of the box in most
configurations.  (32bit/64bit/Win/Linux/Mac/more?).
Benchmarks: http://code.google.com/p/csharp-sqlite/wiki/Benchmarks

A couple of things that I've learned about it during the process of
getting it to work.

1. The SQLite database files that CSharpSqlite makes are not byte per
byte compatible.   Mono.Data.Sqlite and other native SQLite tools can
read databases created with CSharpSqlite but CSharpSqlite asserts on
databases created with Mono.Data.Sqlite

2. When running under CSharpSqlite, OpenSimulator will crash on the
first load.    Subsequent attempts to load OpenSimulator and it'll be
fine.

The ADO.NET <http://ado.net/> wrapper that I wrote for CSharpSqlite is code
compatible
with Mono.Data.Sqlite. That means that either can be used simply by
changing the using statement at the top of each of the SQLite*.cs
files  The same code that works for Mono.Data.Sqlite will also work on
CSharpSqlite because the inner namespaces are exactly the same.

To save on code maintenance, I implemented CSharpSqlite as the
compilation conditional CSharpSqlite in the OpenSim.Data.Sqlite
project.

#if CSharpSqlite
   using Community.CsharpSqlite.Sqlite;
#else
   using Mono.Data.Sqlite;
#endif

CSharpSqlite is easy to define in Microsoft Visual Studio but it's
slightly tougher for just plain Mono.

In Visual Studio, you right click the OpenSim.Data.Sqlite project in
the Solution Explorer.  Click Properties from the context menu.  Then
go to the Build Tab.  You'll see a box labeled 'Condition compilation
symbols' that's empty.   Simply enter CSharpSqlite into that box, save
the project and compile.

Apparently in Mono you use the -d:CSharpSqlite parameter when you
compile OpenSim.Data.Sqlite.     MonoDevelop may make this process
easier but I have no basis to work from.

Hopefully this helps people deal with issues relating to the use of SQLite

Regards

Teravus

Have a great day!

Teravus