[Opensim-users] Running OpenSim on a Nokia N900 Smartphone

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 11 01:34:56 UTC 2010

On 10/10/10 15:15, Aldon Hynes wrote:
>> From: Justin Clark-Casey
>> On 08/10/10 19:04, Aldon Hynes wrote:
>>> Okay, I realize this is probably pushing the envelope a little bit, but
>>> I've made a little bit of progress in running OpenSim on a Nokia N900
>>> smartphone.
>>> The Nokia N900 is a linux based phone. There is limited Mono support on
>>> it, so I thought I would see if I could run OpenSim on it.
>>> I actually got pretty far, but it seems to be failing when I get to the
>>> I get an error saying Could not load types fo [MySql.Data ... ]
>>> I don't believe that the Mono on the N900 supports MySql. On the other
>>> hand, I'm using sqlite3 for my database, so I'm wondering why I'm
>>> getting the MySql.Data error and if there is some configuration I can do
>>> to get around this.
>>
>> It looks like this is a consequence of our module loading system.
>>   If you move or remove OpenSim.Data.Tests.dll then
>> OpenSim may start correctly without the MySQL library (it does on
>> my local master).  For some reason, module loading is
>> MySQL libraries that it references further on.
>
> I removed OpenSim.Data.Tests.dll from the opensim/bin directory.  Still
> getting the same error.

I recommend just trying to remove MySql.data.dll first and then reading the error message carefully.  At the top it
should tell you what dll was trying to load it.  Eliminate that and keep working backwards until things work or you've
deleted every DLL ;)

> I wondered if maybe it was some other Test dll, so I moved all of the files
> with *Test* out of the opensim/bin directory, and still got the same error.
>
> So, is there something else I can do to get around the MySQL problem?
> I tried using SQLLiteLegacyStandalone.ini and I seemed to get further, but
> it gave me an error about failing to load plugin
> OpenSim.Data.IXInventoryData  I tried tweaking SQLLiteLegacyStandalone.ini
> but without any luck.
>
> Also, when I am running an OpenSim region, do I need the test files?
> Especially if I'm trying to run a pared down version on a mobile device?

No, you don't need them.  We should improve the release process to delete them, but for now you can just remove them
manually.

> Aldon
>

>> I discovered this by first removing Data.MySQL.dll and then
>> working back along the chain of resolution problems it
>> complained about.
>>
>>> For more details, check my blog post
>>> Building Virtual Worlds on the #N900
>>> http://www.orient-lodge.com/node/4281