[Opensim-users] Running OpenSim 0.6.9 and 0.7.x in tandem...

Jason Shipley mimetic.core at aliensignals.com
Mon Nov 29 17:39:09 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying to run an instance of OpenSim 0.6.9-RC2 and 0.7.1 dev
simultaneously using the same ROBUST server and a shared MySQL DB while
appearing on the map as neighbors.  It's more or less a proof of concept
project, but also a way to allow people to jump into my grid from both HG
1.0 and 1.5 origins.

I've HAVE had success with 2 instances of OS 0.7.x
side-by-side as well as OpenSim and AuroraSim running in this manner - all
connect to the ROBUST server, share a DB just fine and nest together on
the world map, but I've had little
luck with pre 0.7 instances in this mix.

As it stands, when I launch my 0.6.9 instance it connects successfully to
ROBUST and
the regions are registered properly, then appears on the map right next to
my 0.7.1 regions while I'm logged into THOSE.  However, I cant' seem to TP
into the 0.6.9 regions nor even log into them directly, nor see them
physically inworld from 0.7.1.

When trying to TP into the 0.6.9 regions, the viewer stalls and responds
with "Problems connecting to destination".
When trying to log into the 0.6.9 regions directly, the verbose stops at
"Connecting to region..."

[Log errors pending on responses to this post]

I'm using settings in the INI files that mirror my 0.7.1 setting as best
they can (I realize there are some significant differences in some
areas).

So before I go any further or post any additional info, my question: is
this even possible, or am I chasing my tail?
Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Jason

Note: my setup is currently running in XP and I'm not having any other
issues with my setup under normal usage.