[Opensim-users] Diva Distro - Hitting Walls

Harri Nyman harri.nyman at shadecorp.net
Sat Nov 27 20:03:35 UTC 2010

One question pops into my mind - are all users connecting to same login URL?
I had similar problems, but it all worked ok when I put same login urls into
every viewer, regardless of the network (intra/internet)

Harri

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 9:45 PM, iSkye Silverweb
<iskye.silverweb at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>> the UK.
>>
>> On router (Sagem F at ST 2504 firmware version 2.8Sky):
>> Port 9000 for TCP/UDP and ports 9001-9003 for UDP
>>
>> Windows firewall disabled on both computers inside the network
>>
>> regions.ini file:
>> external IP is our-grid.dyndns-server.com  (note: when we change the
>> external IP to the actual internal IP, 192.168.0.9, for the machine running
>> our grid, our UK guy can log in from inside his network, but the 2 outside
>> computers can't log in)
>> internal IP is 0.0.0.0
>>
>> hosts file on the client the UK guy is trying to login from:
>> 192.168.0.9    our-grid.dyndns-server.com
>>
>> uPnP and DMZ are both off, disabled (we've tried both ways)
>>
>> All three of us can see the welcome page in the browser.  The UK (inside
>> network) guy, isn't able to log in through the webpage, nor can he get into
>> the grid.  We seem to be missing one small ingredient that will let our UK
>> guy login from inside his network.
>>
>> Suggestions, anyone?  Your help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 3:37 PM, iSkye Silverweb <
>> iskye.silverweb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We're getting closer.  We guess!  Now, we've got the opposite issue.
>>> External computers can log in; the UK guy can't get in from inside his
>>> network.  We did as Diva suggested (9000 only for both TCP & UDP; 9001-9003
>>> for UDP only - previously all four ports were opened for both UDP & TCP) and
>>> that got us to this point, thank you Diva!
>>>
>>> We're told his router supports NAT loopback (Sagem FAST 2504 from Sky
>>> Broadband).  Not sure that's by default? So, we attempted this method,
>>> hoping that would get him able to log in through his viewer from inside the
>>> network:
>>>
>>> *This method was used and successfully tested using www.dyndns.com(creates a virtual domain for your pc/ip, like
>>> yourcomputer.ath.cx) as loopback for devices on a LAN with three
>>> machines (pentium 2.8ghz running windows xp - internet server , amd opteron
>>> running ubuntu 7.10 64bit - as opensim server - and MacBook with OSX 10.4.11
>>> - as client), a modem (thomson/alcatel speedtouch 330) and a mini-switch
>>> (which brand no one ever heard of). The connection of these machines is made
>>> as following: Modem -> Win Pc -> Switch -> Mac and Ubuntu. Dyndns is used to
>>> loopback to the Win Pc, and then it forwards the request to the internal LAN
>>> opensim server, which grants everything for the client. As for the client,
>>> if he is inside the private LAN then he is now actually someone on the
>>> internet requesting for access to the opensim server. Thus, if the client is
>>> someone on the internet then he will be treated like that. Tricky ? Further
>>> details ahead:
>>>
>>> Method:
>>>
>>>     * Set the simulator listening IP address to your dyndns domain - edit
>>> opensim/bin/Regions/default.xml; and change the external_host_name to
>>> external_host_name="yourcomputer.ath.cx". Leave internal_ip_address