[Opensim-users] trying to set up freeswitch

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 00:17:09 UTC 2010

>Olli wrote:
>So according to your notes Freeswitch will not work if your server is behind
>NAT, is that correct?
>
>In other words, if you wish to have an internet accessible OpenSim instance
>with Freeswitch you must ensure that it is on DMZ with the public IP as its'
>"local" IP address and not behind a router carrying out the address
>translation between public and private IP?

I cannot be sure on that Olli.  But any port forwarding or
translation method should work, so long as the external address is
used consistently in the config files on both the FreeSwitch and
OpenSim sides I think.

Make sure your firewall ports for H.323 call initiation and for the
or used for the type of call made is also open.. that's covered
already in the Freeswitch wiki page firewall section. Its
configurable. Basically open ports 1720 and 5060, and maybe 50505
must be open for listening for the default setup indicated in
OpenSim.ini (for 0.7.1 dev master its in  OpenSimDefaults.ini and
must be copied to OpenSim.ini remember. Dynamically assigned ports
are used for specific call traffic. The usual H.323 and SIP traffic
dynamic port handling on modern firewalls usually enable this.

I added some more notes on the wiki for advanced users who want to
change the behaviour when joining calls, single user on hold music
turn off etc. We turn all that off in the freeswitch config file for our usage.