[Opensim-users] Implementing Groups

Zane Legion zanelegion at twistedsky.net
Tue Nov 16 08:43:38 UTC 2010

I’ve just spent several hours working what’s wrong with my implementation of groups. I’m running grid mode with 0.7.0.2 on Windows/IIS/MySQL/PHP (WIMP?).

What I found was that when a group is created, the RoleMembersVisible bit is not being set on group powers, so no-one (including the group founder) can see any group members. This stops anyone from inviting a member to the group as well.

>From my limited understanding it seems that XMLRPC.php is expecting OpenSim to set the RoleMembersVisible bit when the createGroup function is called – but it doesn’t. So I override the group powers in createGroup with “$ownersPowers = 490382185988094;” just under the line that reads “// Create Owner Role”. This fixes group creation for me.

It seems that at some point before 0.7.0.2, some OpenSim was created for selecting whether role members are visible in groups, but it wasn’t setting that option when a group was being created.

Not sure if this relates to the problem at hand, but since we’re talking about flotsam groups and 0.7.0.2 I thought I’d mention it.

Zane Legion
Twisted Sky Grid