[Opensim-users] isues with opensim - connecting externally and internally

Rob opensim at dumnonni.com
Tue Mar 16 19:02:42 UTC 2010

hello,
      am having some issues with opensim and i am running out of sources of
help/info.
(also apologies for any double posting or similar if i have)

hoping someone out there can help.

my setup

windows XP (SP2) -> DG834G router (no DHCP, no NAT) > DG834G > the internet

all the relevent ports are forwarding correctly.

have opensim running in standalone hypergrid mode using mysql.

example of my regions.ini

[a region]
RegionUUID = e8478e5f-c2fa-447c-a552-64651dd1859c
Location = 1000,1000
InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
InternalPort = 9000
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = [my external IP or "my dyndns domain"]
MasterAvatarFirstName = blar
MasterAvatarLastName = blar
MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = blar

if i set external host to my external IP, people can connect from the
outside world. but i cannot connect from this computer.
i have setup dyndns and edited hosts file accordingly. i can connect using
this method but people from the outside cant.
setting the regions.ini to use my external IP, others can connect with
loginuri=[my IP] but i can no longer connect.
so either others can can connect or i can. cant have both.

i have tried everything here
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Network_Settings as best as i can.
have tried the iptables by using telnet into the "external" router. have
also tried the routers static routing.
have tried several IP routing/tranlsation programs for XP.

also tried the internal address in regions.ini as 127.0.0.1 and
192.168.0.5 as well as the default 0.0.0.0

when i manage to get a connection to opensim, it hangs on handshaking and
kicks out an error.

tried various configurations and combinations but nothing seems to allow
both an external and internl viewers to connect (tried the LL viewer,
hippo and emerald on the off chance one was more "forgiving" than others).

telneting into the router and using iptables makes opensim.exe kick out
http.request errors and it times out.

am running out of ideas. really prefer not to get two usable IPs from my
ISP and set it up like that.

any help would be apreciated.

      Rob.