[Opensim-users] Working with the new ROBUST Changes

diva at metaverseink.com diva at metaverseink.com
Fri Mar 5 02:48:28 UTC 2010

Everyone -

The official tagged release is 0.6.9. Please stick to that unless you
want to help the development of OpenSim. If you just want to use it,
stay  in tagged releases.

If you do want to help, your help will be much appreciated. Here are
some important tips and warnings for upgrading your grids:

1) We're not in Kansas anymore. If your grid is more than just a
personal world for fun, I strongly recommend that you pull a copy of
your DB onto the side and try the upgrade on a "test grid" first. You
should start integrating this 2-phase deployment process more and more
into your operation. (besides doing backups periodically)

2) In theory, migrations occur automatically, but you may encounter some
hickups -- see this issue report, which isn't solved yet, but has some
tips at the end: http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=4604.

3) Expect bugs in master for the next couple of weeks. We're in pre-0.7
phase, after a massive re-architecting effort. Bug reports of the kind
"Here's something that doesn't look right, I want to help diagnose it"
are really valuable. Patches are even more valuable! Bug reports of the
kind "F*&#@, this doesn't work and now I can't login, I can't roll back,
and my life is in ruins" will be left echoing in the void.

4) OSWiredux will not work anymore. If you rely on it for user
registrations, consider finding an alternative solution before you
upgrade your production grid. Ideally, you will deploy that alternative
solution in your test grid before you deploy it into your production grid.

5) The default configuration now is 1 single ROBUST server with all the
12-or-so services, and then any number of simulation servers. Depending
on the scale of your operation, you may want to run the default
configuration or not. If you have a really big grid, with lots of users,
very likely you will want to separate groups of services into their own
ROBUST servers, and placing those in their own boxes. With the new
architecture, this is trivial to do. However, I haven't had time to
write the documentation yet, so I won't be able to teach people how to
do it right now. I already told a few things to the OSGrid folks over
the IRC, so maybe they can figure it out and teach everyone else how to
do it before I have time to document it properly.