[Opensim-users] Warning, one month Warning

Aldon Hynes Aldon.Hynes at Orient-Lodge.com
Thu Mar 4 16:49:21 UTC 2010

For any newer members of this list who aren't sure what people are talking
about, or for older members of the list who still haven't figured out what
really happened, I would encouage you to check out:

The Great 2009 OpenSim April Fool's Prank
http://www.orient-lodge.com/node/3489

OpenSim Takes a New Direction - April Fool's Day in Perspective
http://www.orient-lodge.com/node/3492

and

Followup: The OpenSim 'lawsuit'
http://www.orient-lodge.com/node/3497

I realize that this is a list for users and not developers, so let me talk
about different versions of OpenSim

On the front page of the website, they list version 0.6.8  If you aren't a
developer, or don't have some other specific reason to be using development
code, you are probably best using this.  I can't make any promises, because
I haven't read the code myself, but my bet is that if you run 0.6.8, you
probably don't have to worry about an April Fool's Prank.  There is a
version 0.6.9dev-r11766.  It says 'dev' as part of the version.  Again, I
haven't read that code closely either, so I don't know for sure if there
might be a prank in that.  Since it is a developers version you've got a
better chance of finding a prank.

If you are a developer and want to work with the latest version of the code,
there are instructions, with ample warnings about the dangers of doing so on
the OpenSim website.  Of course, for people who enjoy developers senses of
humor, this is probably the best code to get if you really want to
experience the prank, and crashes such a prank might produce, and even learn
a little bit more about how OpenSim really works as people deal with a prank
and any possible crashes.  As always, your mileage may vary.

My long two cents,
Aldon