[Opensim-users] A groups Question on Opensim

InuYasha Meiji inuyasha.meiji at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 11:59:22 UTC 2010

Marck wrote:
> InuYasha Meiji wrote:
>> I wanted to know before I continue to pull my on hair out, if a
>> standlone can even get groups to work?  I have been trying for a while
>> now. I am sorry if I seem dumb, but I think I am missing something.  I
>> get my precompiled version of opensim 6.9 pre-fixed) from OSGrid, with
>> no intentions of connecting to it.  My personal project lets personal
>> friends of mine come and enjoy a tour of Shuri Castle during the time of
>> King Sho nei.
>
> Yes, groups do work with a standalone. Just yesterday, I have set up
> the flotsam XmlRpcGroups implementation for my standalone which also
> uses a OpenSim 0.6.9 binary distribution provided by OSGrid.
>
>> Ok, I don't seem to have any other troubles, my friends log in fine and
>> so do I.  I don't loose anything but between shutting down and coming
>> back up some worn items have to be reattached.  I logged into flotsom
>> and downloaded what I thought I needed from them the php files and all
>> that.  But once I get how I think they tell me to set it up done, I turn
>> on the group in the opensim.ini and all I get are errors, and even after
>> pointing to my own xmlrpc.php in my xampp/htdocs/groups dir via http
>> address one of the errors I get say it is trying to use something to do
>> with OSGrid.  Oh and quits while apparently trying to find the user in
>> the user database.
>
> Have you followed the installation instructions at
> http://code.google.com/p/flotsam/wiki/XmlRpcGroups? You do not need to
> care about the OpenSim module because it is already part of the
> OpenSim distribution.
>
>> So it started making me think before I continue maybe I misunderstood
>> with all these people running with many configurations, should I be
>> running in Gridmode, not connected to OSGrid but should I need to run my
>> opensim in grid mode using all those external files to run the user
>> server so it will find the users.  Or did I do something else wrong.
>>
>> But if someone could just help me configure groups in a more detailed
>> way for a standalone that would be nice too.
>
> Follow the link given in step 1) of the installation instructions and
> use the "Download Source" button in the upper right of that page to
> download a ZIP archive with everything you need (and some more).
>
> Inside this ZIP archive, you'll find a subdirectory
> "XmlRpcGroupsServer". The contents of that directory are what you
> actually need to copy to your xampp/htdocs/groups directory. Your
> Apache web server must be able to run PHP scripts in this directory
> (since you are using XAMPP, I take it that this is  already the case).
>
> Step 2) tells you to copy config.php.example to config.php and to edit
> it appropriately. Make sure that you provide the correct settings for
> the database (see next step). You can keep the default values for the
> "Group security" settings. (Once you have groups successfully running,
> [...]
OK, I haven't tried it yet, I only just woke up.  But I didn't want to
wait to thank you, that was the most comprehensive discription I have
seen yet.  I will let you know how it all goes.  And it sounds like this
should help.  The first time I tried to get each file off of flotsom's
site individually.  I never noticed the zip file.  I am a legally blind,
only one useful eye and one that gets fuzzy after to much use.  That
alonge with a kidney transplant.  I don't know if that zip was there
before or I might have missed it.  But this sounds like it will help
me.  Thanks again.

I really apprecaite your time.
.