[Opensim-users] Meta-data for IAR and OAR + Sharing

Revlin John stylogicalmaps at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 17:58:07 UTC 2010

> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc at gmail.com>
> To: opensim-users at lists.berlios.de
> Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 01:05:32 +0100
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Meta-data for IAR and OAR + Sharing

There actually is already a metadata file contained within OARs and IARs
> called archive.xml.  It doesn't act as a manifest but it does record version
> numbers for upward compatibility purposes.

   That's cool. Can the form of "archive.xml" be extended to act as a a
manifest? I presume that would require an extension to the OpenSim modules
that handles compressing content to tar.gz files. It would have to
extensively parse, then list all items of content in some kind of tree
format and write this as "archive.xml" before calling tar. My best guess any
way.

I also think that the issue of sharing content is seperate from the
>> issue of running the OpenSim server, meaning it should not be handled by
>> another os module. All that the OpenSim server requires for loading new
>> content from OARs and IARs is that the archive be placed in a folder
>> under the bin heiarchy (I download OARs to bin/import/oar)  and then
>> loaded via the server command line. This is a pretty simple mechanism,
>> although some extra command line tools like the ability to list the
>> contents of an archive before loading it (via meta-data component) would
>> be extremely helpful.
>>

> Archives are actually just tar.gz files.  You can untar them and inspect
> their contents.  See
>
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives
>
> for more details.

This I knew and I'm making use of the fact that OAR/IAR can be decompressed
into a folder tree outside of OpenSim. However it would be helpful to be
able to view the contents of an OAR from within the OpenSim command line
environment, rather than having to switch back and forth between a terminal
running OpenSim and a terminal running the native os shell. Basically the
ability to call tar, ls, mkdir and rm functions from within OpenSim would
probably satisfy this need (a module supporting native shell commands?).

Thanks for your helpful comments and redirects, Justin.

Revlin

--
play and have fun.