[Opensim-users] Content Theft and the responsibility of Grid Operators

Michael Dickson mike.dickson at hp.com
Wed Jun 2 14:08:18 UTC 2010

Ummm, no. Or should I say thats one perspective on it.

And I suspect that people making content for virtual worlds like SL and
opensim based grids would object to themselves being characterized as
getting rich from it.

IMO IP laws exist to protect smaller entities from predatory practices
by larger corporations who might wish to exploit the size of a smaller
company.  Even thats just one perspective.

In any event this all has little to do with running OpenSim grids (other
than to say if you are running a public grid in the US you should be
aware of the DMCA and what it provides in terms of protection and
responsibilities).  Speculating on the intent of Linden Labs, SL content
creators, etc, is just that. Speculation.  And not productive IMO.

Mike